- POPULAR MUSIC
- CLASSICAL MUSIC
- WORLD MUSIC
- AFRICAN ACTS
- THEMED ENTERTAINMENT
- NOVELTY ACTS
- DANCE ACTS
- KIDS ENTERTAINMENT
- BUDGET ENTERTAINMENT
AbavukiLocation: Based in Cape Town
ABAVUKI is a powerful African Jazz & World music outfit from Langa, Cape Town and have been playing their infectious afro-beat marimba grooves since 2001. The eight members in the group, all multi-instrumentalists, are influenced by kwaito, samba, jazz and traditional rhythms, which they translate within a modern format, using marimbas, percussion and brass instruments.
The Xhosa name “abavuki” means ‘Wake up, early birds!’ and this attitude is palpable in Abavuki’s high-energy, uplifting music that not only reflects their youth, but their optimistic outlook on life and their approach to music-making.
Their vibrant reinterpretation of marimba music, with overlaid brass instruments, is a funky addition to the genre, and resounds because it is testimony to the resilience of South Africans and the redemption the country has found in music in its path to reconciliation.
The group consists of Andile Makubalo, Bongani Ngesi, Thando Sishuba, Thulani Mtyi, Miyo Sakabula, Sabu Jiyana, Kim Masala & Gaz Matsila
- Decade - 2012
- Africa got Soul - 2009
- Live in China – 200
- African Rhythms – 2004
International Noteworthy Performances
Completed two-month tour of Europe (June-Aug 2015), where they performed at the following festivals :
- Ethno Port, Poznan, Poland
- Respect Festival, Prague, Czech Rep
- Oerol, Terschelling, the Netherlands
- Houtfestival, Haarlem, the Netherlands
- Fusion-Festival, Larz, Germany
- Afrikafestival, Hertme, the Netherlands
- Zomer van Antwerpen, Belgium
- Colours of Ostrava, Czech Rep
- Okarina Etno Festival, Bled, Slovenia
- Festival der Kulturen, Augsburg, Germany
- Folk Holidays, Náměšť nad Oslavou, Czech Rep
- Bardentreffen, Nürnberg, Germany
- Resident band for 2 months on the Viking Line ferry between Sweden and Finland - 2010
- Travelled to China in 2006, where they spent a week in each of Urumqi, Xi’ning and Beijing. Their second album “Live in China” was recorded in Xi’ing.
- Voorkamerfest, Darling 2015
- Selected to perform at Womex2014 and Visa For Music 2014
- Rocking the Daisies 2013
- “Africa Connect” festival 2013
- World Music festival in Cape Town 2012
- Featured in BBC4 documentary with Midge Ure (ex Ultravox) – 2009
- Commissioned to record “Africa got Soul” to celebrate Motown’s 50th anniversary – 2009
It went brilliantly and they were amazing!!! Thank you!!
Anne Mann Wedding Co-Ordination
© All Biographies, images, sound and video files are copyright protected
Typical Budget for Abavuki is
R10000 - R15000.
Please note this is merely a guide; if you submit a booking enquiry, you will receive an exact quote based on the unique details of your event.
Submit a booking enquiry directly with Abavuki, and the Artist or their manager / representative will be in touch with you soon!
Should you be unsure about which acts to enquire with, you can choose to SEND GIGSTER YOUR EVENT DETAILS and we will forward your enquiry to up to 5 suitable acts.
You May Also Like...
Traditional Zulu dance group performing across Kwazulu Natal and South Africa...Read More
Combining Jazz & African sounds, a unique combination consisting of 2 marimbas & sax...Read More