- POPULAR MUSIC
- CLASSICAL MUSIC
- WORLD MUSIC
- AFRICAN ACTS
- THEMED ENTERTAINMENT
- NOVELTY ACTS
- DANCE ACTS
- KIDS ENTERTAINMENT
- BUDGET ENTERTAINMENT
Lebo MashileLocation: Based in Johannesburg
Popular poet, performer, actress, presenter and producer Lebogang Mashile's hip-hop inspired poetry has been inspiring a large audience in South Africa and beyond since 2002.
Career highlights include a role in the Oscar nominated film "Hotel Rwanda", and performing at the inauguration of former president Thabo Mbeki. Lebo was also the presenter and producer of the television programme "L'Atitude", a series which reached an audience of over two million households and went on to be nominated for two South African Film and Television Awards.
Her lyrical and gutsy poems in the collection "A Ribbon of Rhythm" (2005) speak about life in the new South Africa. Issues such as the diversity and unity of the "Rainbow Nation", the status of women, violence and the fragility of individuals are all treated with a sense of urgency, humour and at times with melancholy and a certain rawness. Mashile’s self-produced album "Lebo Mashile Live!" combines her performance poetry with hip-hop, house and R&B.
Mashile’s written views and opinions have been published in City Press, O magazine (South Africa), Ymag, True Love magazine and Mail & Guardian, and she is often invited to offer social commentary on a wide range of issues in the South African media. She has also featured on numerous covers of South African entertainment and lifestyle magazines and enjoyed significant coverage throughout all South African media.
She has appeared beyond South Africa, to date in Kenya, Austria, Germany, Cuba, Jamaica, Ireland, Zimbabwe, the United States, Swaziland, Lesotho, Botswana, Britain, Mozambique, Algeria, Malawi and Switzerland.
RELEASES, WORKS, PERFORMANCES AND PRODUCTIONS
- In March of 2010, In a Ribbon of Rhythm, Mashile’s first award winning collection of poetry was published in Germany in translation.
- “Flying Above the Sky” (June 2008) - her second anthology, dealing with Mashile’s signature themes of gender, identity, spirituality, love and sociopolitical conditions in South Africa.
- Mashile co-wrote ‘Threads’, a fusion of poetry, music and dance, created in celebration of Moving Into Dance Mophatong’s 30th anniversary. In July of 2009, ‘Threads’ was staged at the Standard Bank National Arts Festival in Grahamstown and Mashile was bestowed with the honour of being the keynote speaker at the National Schools Festival. In 2010, ‘Threads’ was performed in Zimbabwe at the Harare international Festival of the Arts and in Durban at the Jomba Dance Festival.
- Wrote the ‘The State of the Nation’ address for Mail & Guardian in 2009, a parallel commentary to the president’s annual highly anticipated address.
- Performed at the opening of Parliament
- performed for U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at the Mahlambandlovu, the presidential guesthouse.
- In November of 2009, Mashile participated in Beyond Words, a ground – breaking, cross-generational fusion of South African poetry that travelled to six cities in England. Mashile performed alongside celebrated South African poets Phillippa Yaa De Villiers, Dr. Don Mattera, and the Poet Laureate of South Africa, Prof. Keorapetse Kgositsile.
- The year closed with Mashile performing for more than 200 million people worldwide at the FIFA World Cup Draw
- In 2003 she co-founded the “Feel a Sistah!” Spoken Word Collective alongside Myesha Jenkins, Ntsiki Mazwai and Napo Masheane, which rapidly gained widespread popularity.
- Presenter of ‘Drawing the Line’, a game show on SABC2 that examines the moral fibre of South Africa. In 2010, the show’s second season was nominated for a South African Film and Television Award.
- In 2009 and 2010, Mashile was a judge for the Sunday Times Literary Awards in the fiction category, the most prestigious literary prize in South Africa.
- Her soul-stirring poetry can be heard every week on Kaya FM’s ‘Soul Inspired’
- Commissioned Poem / Script
- Poetry Performance
- Celebrity guest
Awards & Distinctions
- Awarded the prestigious Noma Award for Publishing in Africa, the premier prize for literature from the African continent in 2006
- Recipient of the City Press/ Rapport Woman of Prestige Award in 2007 alongside prominent South African women such as DA leader and Western Cape Premier Helen Zille and the legendary musician, Dorothy Masuka.
- In 2006, 2007 and 2009 she was named one of the Top 100 youth in South Africa, as well as one of the top women in South Africa by the Mail & Guardian
- Top personality in television by The Star's annual Top 100 list, 2006
- Woman of the Year for 2010 in the category of Arts and Culture by Glamour magazine
- One of South Africa's Awesome Women of 2005 by Cosmopolitan Magazine
The event went very well! Lebo’s energy was vibrant and inviting. She kept the crowd alive and her work was exceptional. It was an absolute pleasure working with her. And thank you for your assistance with the booking!
Sisilane Bucibo, Mela Events
Lebo was phenomenal, a consummate professional. Thank you!
Tiziana Tucci, Mela Events
© All Biographies, images, sound and video files are copyright protected
Typical Budget for Lebo Mashile is
R25000 - R35000.
Please note this is merely a guide; if you submit a booking enquiry, you will receive an exact quote based on the unique details of your event.
Submit a booking enquiry directly with Lebo Mashile, and the Artist or their manager / representative will be in touch with you soon!
Should you be unsure about which acts to enquire with, you can choose to SEND GIGSTER YOUR EVENT DETAILS and we will forward your enquiry to up to 5 suitable acts.
You May Also Like...
Multi award-winning TV anchor who has interviewed numerous global icons and celebs...Read More
Hypnotist, Mentalist & Keynote Speaker in a league of his own...Read More